Monday, July 24, 2017

His discipline

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11

Image result for gods discipline pic

"Oh no!" I thought as I saw her bound towards me at top speed, full of energy and excitement to see someone running by the farm house she called home. And as much as I knew how I would enjoy the companionship of this sweet border collie on my morning run, I also knew what happened the last time she followed and went where she wasn't supposed to-she followed me home, nearly getting hit by a car on the way, and I had to load her up and bring her back where she belonged. So I was very relieved when just moments later, her 'parent' pulled alongside and she reluctantly allowed herself to be picked up and driven back home where she would be safe. 

You know, this sweet puppy reminded me that I am no different. I go down paths or do things that look exciting and fun, oblivious to the dangers of stepping away from my 'parent', the Father. If we're honest, we would all admit to doing it. But thankfully, God doesn't leave us there. He disciplines us, picks us up and brings us back to where we belong. Is that always pleasant? Most definitely not. The Bible tells us that, "no discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful." But you can bet that it's always worth it because, "it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." 

So you see, while it's never enjoyable to be disciplined and corrected by God, it is necessary for us and is a sign that He loves us very much. After all, a loving 'parent' does what's best for their children right? And who loves his child more-the father who allows his children to continue doing what will cause them harm? Or the one who loves them enough to train them to do right by any means necessary? I can assure you that God is the latter. He truly does love us. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would correct us when we do wrong. And although this correction will hurt, help us to accept it gratefully knowing that it is for our good and will only lead to us growing closer to you. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Cry in my heart - Stanfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POMFYx9CR8g





No comments:

Post a Comment