Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Covenant

I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life." Genesis 9:13-15

Image result for rainbow pic

The disappointment felt by hundreds of runners because of canceled races over the weekend paled greatly in comparison to the sorrow thousands of people felt across the Midwest-all because of the weather. You see the record breaking rainfalls this area experienced not only hindered outdoor activity of any kind but also brought spurts of lightning, flooded homes and whole towns, washed out roads and bridges and caused many traffic accidents-and sadly, even a few deaths. And while the Missouri governor has declared the region a "State of Emergency", I know everything will be okay. I have complete confidence that the sun will soon shine again because the same oath that God pledged to Noah is the same one he has pledged to you and me. 

In fact, Genesis 9:8-17 records the promise God made to Noah and his descendants (that's us) after the flood which destroyed the whole world. And to show just how serious God was in keeping this pledge, the Noahic Covenant was not just spoken but sealed with a sign, "When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life." Thankfully then, since we can trust that God's promises are true, we can have complete peace in the midst of any storm.

So when you see a rainbow, smile as you remember that God is forever faithful, that his grace is new each and every morning and that the "sign" is a personal reminder from the Father himself that storms and trying times won't last forever. There is hope because he truly loves us.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the promise that you would never flood the earth again. When we are anxious about the storms surrounding us or within us, help us to remember that you have promised to weather them with us, that we are never alone and there is always hope. Thank you Father for the rainbow that serves as an eternal reminder of that. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

Tenth Avenue North - I have this hope







No comments:

Post a Comment