Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Consider the consequences

"Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me? But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew..." Genesis 25:32-34

Image result for finish line pics

Running in the cold rain yesterday morning evoked a memory that brought a huge smile to my face despite the gloomy weather. Thinking back, I recalled how similiar the conditions had been on that morning last month when I was blessed to cross the finish line of my first 100 mile race. But this recollection that brings such happiness now could easily have been a sorrowful one and the biggest regret of my life. You see somewhere around mile 70 when things got really tough, I debated quitting even though I knew it was not what God had planned for me. I was cold, wet, tired, lonely, in a lot of pain and spiritually run down. So when I stopped to rest and eat at the only aid station on the course with heat, I found myself tempted to stay and nearly traded what awaited me at the finish line for the temporary pleasure of being comfortable. And praise God I pressed on because quitting the race would have been something I would have regretted for the rest of my life. 

You know when it comes to comfort, the Bible tells the story of Esau who traded the lasting benefits of his birthright (or inheritance) to his brother, Jacob, for the temporary pleasure of having a full stomach. For "some bread and some lentil stew", Esau forfeited the better things that awaited him. Had he carefully considered the long-term consequences of his actions, perhaps he wouldn't have been so quick to just give up and give in to the temptation? Maybe he would have pressed on? One thing is certain though, that decision was something he most likely regretted the rest of his life. 

So as you see, if we aren't careful, you and I can easily fall into the same trap of making hasty decisions based on how we are feeling. And it's when we are tempted to give up or give in that we need to prayerfully consider what God would have us do and then ask for the strength to do it. Overcoming the desire to be comfortable won't always be easy but in the long run will most certainly be worth it.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings you have given us. Thank you also for the promise that better things are waiting for those that choose to follow you over choosing the comforts of the world. Help us to remember that being obedient will sometimes mean being uncomfortable but that it will be worth it. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Kari Jobe - Steady my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment