Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Desires of our Hearts

“Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4



Early in the morning on November 2, 2008, I got dressed, laced up my running shoes, and pinned on my Bass Pro Marathon bib as I prayed, “Lord I need you. I have a long race ahead of me and I can’t do this alone.” And then I headed out the door to a worship service the race provided that would forever change my life. “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…” the preacher began as he went on to deliver a prerace devotional that I desperately needed to hear—words that propelled me to finish the second marathon I had ever run. The experience not only set my younger self (a Christian on the fence post) on a search of the Scriptures to know more but stirred my heart to pray, “Lord I want to be that person one day. I want to be that person who speaks words of life into someone who needs to hear them.” And guess what? It would be several years later, but the Lord granted the desire of my heart! And this weekend as I’ve done for many years now, I will step up to the microphone before the Bass Pro Marathon/Half and share a message of encouragement and hope to a huge group of runners that I hope will inspire them to not only press on to the finish line but to draw closer to Jesus. 

And you know, when it comes to receiving the desires of our hearts (or the things we most yearn for), the Bible is very clear that when we delight ourselves in the Lord, our wills and our wants will align with His—and when that happens, our deepest longings and yearnings will seek to bring Him glory above all else and we will then be given what we ask for. You see, it’s only when you and I value the Giver more than the gifts (something that only happens over time as we seek Him and come to know and love Him), that we will find that our supplications and petitions are no longer self-centered but God-centered. 

So seek God first above all else my friend. Seek to know Him so intimately that you come to a point when you only want what He wants and consider fellowship with Him your most prized possession. It’s then that He will give you the desires of your heart.  

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for being a God whose Presence fills us with a fullness of joy that can’t be found anywhere else. Help us to seek You above all else Lord so that our greatest desire would be to know You more and to make your great Name known. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment