Tuesday, November 14, 2023

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Join the Family

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let’s get started by talking about the best two day event there ever was and ever will be (in my humble opinion of course)… the Dogwood Canyon Trail Runs. With a 25k or 50k option on Saturday and then a 15k option on Sunday, there was a distance for everyone. And even a Dogwood Challenge (the 25k or 50k Saturday and then the 15k) for those who really wanted to give their quads a workout and walk away with a slight limp. And what runner doesn’t want that right? After all, it creates an opportunity for you to brag about your adventures when people ask you why you're walking so funny. 

All joking aside, Dogwood Canyon is a special race for so many other reasons as well. Because it’s challenging, because it’s beautiful, because it's a park the whole family can enjoy, because the North Face swag is awesome and because the custom medals are to die for. But mostly because this iconic trail run is a family reunion to many (including me). You see, this is a race that people do year after year, even planning their vacations around it and using the race to celebrate birthdays, to pay respect to loved ones that have passed, and to run in honor of those who can’t. Which is the very reason that putting Dogwood Canyon on your 2024 racing calendar is a great idea! But don’t just take my word for it, check out what these participants had to say:


I didn’t used to love the Dogwood Canyon Trail run. In fact, I hated it. It was hard and I always felt defeated after doing the race. My body ached from the pounding. My feet hurt from the rocks. My pride hurt because once again, I didn’t train well for the event. Each year the sign up would come around and I would begrudgingly sign up again. Why? Because I didn’t want to miss out on the hoodie, the party, the friends and the racation it brought to my year. However, once I flipped the switch on how I looked at the race and how I ran the race it became my favorite race of the year. I stopped hating the hill climbs and started talking to people as I climbed. I have meet so many interesting people and had some of the best conversations on those hills. 

Really there are no words that can truly describe the feelings I get when racing the Dogwood Canyon Trail race. The area is so beautiful with all the fall colors, the water crossings, and the majestic bluffs. I think the best part about racing this event is the party and comradery that happen at the end of the race. Sure, there is some during the race as runners pass each other or help each other through a tough spot. However, at the end is where the party begins. I get to see all my race family and hear all the stories. Not only what happened during the race but also what has happened all year long for them. It’s like a small family reunion except there's no drunk uncle I need to avoid.
There truly are no words to describe how it feels to race the Dogwood Canyon Trail. You must come and experience it for yourself. -Alicia Adamson

Paul Maness is behind me in the orange shirt 

I run Dogwood every year, this year it was not meant to be. I was a little down about it but hey volunteering gets me around trail runners so, I'm in. You get to watch the race unfold in real time, the first few blaze past with a nod or "I'm good", then a few start to grab a drink, pretty soon you have people milling around, laughing, taking selfies and taking a way too early shot of Fireball, or cursing their decision to be there, followed by the..."I'll see you next year" with a wink. If this doesn't make your heart happy, breeze down to the finish line and watch the first timers come in, often with a tear of joy in their eye and big hugs all around, crying because they had been changed for the better.

Paul's station and his trail running family

I spent a beautiful, temperature perfect day, with my trail running family. Next year maybe I'll get to slide into an aide station griping but I promise I'll have that wink with "I'll see you next year" - Paul Maness

Heidi second from right on bottom in yellow

So here is my recap of my weekend in the woods. First, let me say, "I love my trail family"!!! Getting to spend the weekend with so many friends makes my heart full. Second, I love volunteering/crewing and giving back to the community that gives so much to me through the awesome events, beautiful trails and all the people who make them possible. Saturday, I headed up the mountain to run Aide Station #4, which I have renamed Fireball Hill. We aided 25K and 50K runners. Sunday was my day to enjoy the trails and Fireball Hill. For some reason, this weekend was more special than in the past. I think because on Saturday, I witnessed so many people doing their thing and enjoying the beautiful atmosphere.


The greatest joy of the weekend was the two guys wearing the Barry Strong t-shirts. You could tell they were whipped but had no desire to give up. I asked what the shirt was about. You see, they were running for their friend, Barry. Barry had planned on running Dogwood, but the Wednesday before, he was hit head-on by a drunk driver and was in ICU. He and his kids survived, the kids are fine, but Barry may never walk again. These men, and others, were out there with no training, had never run more than 10 miles, but they were out there giving it all, with a smile on their faces the whole time. I think I made some new friends!


My aide station crew was amazing. Joel and Allison Davis, John Cardoza, Hannah Spotts, Josh Mattix, Mike Fiddyment, I cannot thank you enough for keeping the party going for me. Being trail runners, ultra runners, and tri-athletes, we know how to take care of you. We are the best aide station! See you next year on top of Fireball Hill. Thank you Bass Pro Shops Fitness Series for another great year. Your team is amazing! - Heidi Thomas

Pictured here with Steve Welko

And here's what I wrote after day one... I was so blessed to cross the finish line of another Dogwood Canyon Trail Run to see my sweet Larry standing there with my medal. I then got a hug from Steve Welko who’s been a beloved volunteer for the Bass Pro Shops Fitness Series for as long as I can remember. Hanging out with friends afterwards was the icing on the cake. The Bass Pro events are always like a family reunion and I’m so thankful to be a part of this amazing group of people!!


And here's what I posted after completing the 25k/15k Dogwood Challenge.... And day 2 of the Dogwood Canyon Trail Runs is complete. Finished another Dogwood Challenge by God’s grace (those Ozark Hills are no joke!). Made some new friends, laughed with some old ones, started both days off with a devotional, and had my sweet Larry at the finish line. It doesn’t get any better than that. God is good and I am blessed. The Bass Pro Shops Fitness Series is the best!!


So there you have it friends. Dogwood Canyon weekend is amazing for so many reasons. But the friends we make along the way, on the trail and at the finish line, is the most amazing reason and it's what keeps runners coming back year after year. These friends soon become family and that's the beauty of trail running. So if you have yet to discover this for yourself, I urge you to get signed up for the 2024 event so you can join the family. You won't regret it. 
Happy Running!




No comments:

Post a Comment