Thursday, December 22, 2022

The Perfect Gifts

"On coming to the house, they saw the Child with His mother Mary, and they fell down and worshiped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh." Matthew 2:11 BSB


"Oh please Mom," my daughter earnestly pleaded with me yesterday. "Please open your birthday gifts a day early. I'll be gone shopping all day tomorrow and I really want you to have them now. They're both something that you'll really love and will definitely use." As I debated on whether to give in, my husband chimed in and said, "Come on honey. She really wants you to see what we got you." "Okay," I said smiling at their insistence, "I'll do it now." And to say I was glad I did would have been an understatement. These two thoughtful people I'm blessed to call my family got me two of the most 'perfect' gifts a runner girl and busy mom could ever ask for--a Theragun mini to massage my sore muscles on the go and an air fryer/convection oven/microwave combo to cook my favorite foods. "I just love you guys so much," I told them afterwards. "Thank you for being so thoughtful."

And you know, when it comes to receiving the 'perfect' gifts, the Bible tells us that Magi from the east presented Jesus "with gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh." And while there is speculation as to everything these gifts represent, the ancient church understood them to symbolize aspects of Christ's life, ministry, and the work He would do. The gold suggested His royalty as King of the Jews and Lord of lords. In the frankincense, they saw His divinity. The myrrh represented His humanity—and that to the fullest extent because myrrh suggests death and burial. Thus, the gifts were 'perfect' because they came to show Jesus as King, God, and Man.

So when opening your gifts this Christmas, remember that there was never a more 'perfect' Gift given to the world than Jesus Christ. Treasure this Gift knowing that without it, you and I would not have forgiveness from sins and the promise of eternal life. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the 'perfect' and priceless gift of your son Jesus Christ. Cause us to truly understand that this King and High Priest left his throne to be born of a virgin so that He could walk among us and eventually die on the cross to save us from our sins. Give us a boldness to share this Message with everyone Lord so that they too would know the reason we celebrate this season and be inspired to follow the only One who deserves all our honor, worship and praise. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running and Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment