Sunday, August 14, 2022

Clothe yourselves with love

“Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.” Colossians 3:14 NLT


As I arrived at our local middle school track Friday night to celebrate my bachelorette party in a totally unconventional and crazy way, I had to smile at all the pink shirts my friends who were already there had on; shirts with the words ‘Gettin Hitched Half Marathon’ clearly printed on them that revealed to all those watching the reason we were gathered together. All around me were the most special women in my life… women I was linked to by a love of running and more importantly, a love of Jesus. These women that were going to join me for the 13.1 mile celebration were the same women that I had prayed with, served with, and shared life with over the years and their love for me was evident to all those witnessing the special event in person and online. They not only had the one-of-a-kind shirts made but had a decorated table set up, complete with party food, decorations, and my favorite iced coffee. Fighting back tears at the sight and the realization of how truly blessed I was prompted me to pray silently, “Father thank You for showing me what it means to love my brothers and sisters. Thank you for these women who sacrificed their time to make my day special. May this display of our mutual love inspire others to love one another and, more importantly, to seek You.”

And you know, when it comes to love, the Bible tells us that we are to clothe ourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience: making allowances for each other’s faults, and forgiving anyone who offends us. Above all that though, you and I are told to clothe ourselves with love “which binds us together in perfect harmony”. You see, when God’s people love one another unconditionally and work in unity in a way that brings glory to God and goes contrary to the way the world does, the lost are drawn to the One who inspires these actions.

So when choosing what to wear each day, remember to put on mercy, kindness, gentleness and patience my friend. But above all these things “clothe yourselves with love.” You’ll not only imitate the love of Christ by doing so but will inspire others to do the same. After all, as Louise Hay once said, “ Love is contagious… Love opens every door.” May our love open up many doors!

Heavenly Father, thank You displaying what it means to be merciful. kind, humble, gentle, patient, and loving. Help us to follow your example that we might lead others to the foot of the Cross. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment