Thursday, April 21, 2022

Examine the claims

“‘I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don’t tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars.” Revelation 2:2 NLT


“That’s more like it,” I thought to myself yesterday on my morning run as I checked my pace on the brand new GPS watch I had recently received as part of a recall by the manufacturer. Long before I had received the recall notice though, I knew something was wrong; something the average runner might not have noticed. The pace the old watch was registering had become slightly too fast. And I know this because I began running before GPS watches were a ‘thing’ and had to learn how to calculate my speed manually; something that took lots of practice, time, and careful calculation. This was very crucial in my early years of running when attempting to PR or qualify for the Boston Marathon. It was a time when I had to rely on my math skills, mile markers and a simple Timex watch to predict my finishing time. Over the years, I've actually became so good at determining the pace I’m running at any given time that many of my running friends refer to me as a human GPS. Funny right?

And while that may indeed be funny, the increase of false teachers infiltrating the churches around the world is not. In fact it seems that the practice of holding teachers and leaders accountable to accurately preach and hold to the truths found in the Bible has been thrown aside; something that has led to the acceptance of false doctrines and unbiblical narratives and beliefs. So what is a Christian to do? Examine “the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not” and expose them as being liars so that people are not led astray. This was something the church at Ephesus was actually commended for, and the example every believer should be following.

So ‘learn how to calculate’ when something being preached just isn’t right by taking the time to examine the Word so you can detect when something's wrong. It’s the only way that you and I will be able to recognize liars and those who say they are apostles but are not.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that there are rewards for hard work, patient endurance, discernment, and staying true to the Word. Help us to not tolerate evil of any kind and to recognize and expose false teachers and false doctrine so that we might not be led astray. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment