Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Avoid foolish arguments

“Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.” 2 Timothy 2:23 NIV


On April 04, a Runners World Exclusive member asked the following question on the Community Page: The bottom of my running shoes are wearing differently. My right foot appears to wear more on my toes, and my left foot more toward the ball of my foot. I favor a midfoot to forefoot strike. Should I worry about this, and if so, how can I correct it? Is there anything I can do on my own to work on this, or is my only option to engage a professional? In response to that common inquiry, Jeff Dengate, Runner-In-Chief for Runners World said, “The first question I’ll ask is, “Do you have any pain?” If you do, it’s time to see a doctor. If not, then it’s time to order up a new pair of shoes instead of looking to change your stride. If you’ve worn through the rubber, your shoes are shot and should be replaced. But why do they wear differently? In some cases, it can be because of the roadway. If you always run on the same side of a crowned road, the slanted surface will cause your feet to land differently and cause the rubber to wear in different spots. Often, though, it’s because we runners have unique movement patterns, and our feet interact with the ground in slightly different ways.” Jeff then summed up his answer by saying, “unless you’re in pain, I’d say the only thing that tread wear is telling you is when it’s time for a new pair of shoes.”

And you know, when it comes to questions like this that have very simple and concise answers but are often debated unnecessarily, the Bible tells us not to “have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.” This means removing ourselves from and refusing to participate in endless disputes and arguments that are not relevant to building up the church or the members of the body. These distracting interests and “quarrels” can limit how much God can use us by not only causing division among us but by stealing our time, thoughts, and energy. 

So avoid foolish and stupid arguments my friend. They do nothing but cause fights and disagreements. Strive to engage only in conversations that encourage others, bring unity within the body of believers, and glorify God instead. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that every word that comes out of our mouths should bring You glory. Guard our thoughts, emotions, and hearts Lord so that we would discuss only those things that are necessary for the church to thrive and grow. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment