Tuesday, April 5, 2022

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Remember where you were

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!

Now let's get started by talking about how remembering where you were can help you appreciate where you are.

To illustrate my point, check out what Chad Johnson, my fellow Bass Pro Fitness Series Ambassador, had to say after crossing the finish line of the REVEL Mt. Charleston Marathon in Las Vegas Saturday: 

I can’t put into words how grateful I am for the amount of encouraging messages I received during today’s race including a FaceTime with my daughters at the finish line. Thank you to all that reached out in various ways.

I’m sitting here in the hotel with the legs propped up moving slowly. This one hurt worse than others. The heat and too much walking the last couple of days had a bit of an impact on today’s results but it was hands down the most beautiful landscape I’ve ever ran through. The legs locked up at mile 23 and I fell 3 minutes short of officially qualifying for Boston but still managed a 17 minute personal record for a chip time of 3:12:57. I’ll take it for a travel race.


Falling short of my “A goal” coming so close is a bit frustrating so I’m attaching a photo from years back to remind me where I was. The guy in that photo had no intentions of ever trying something crazy like running the Boston Marathon. I’m extremely thankful to be here with Melody and friends to enjoy the next couple of days with. Let the good times roll!

Do you just love this or what? 

After reading Chad's post, I had to know more about that "where I was" photo and how Chad was now at the point where he is inching closer to qualifying for the Boston Marathon (something that is not an easy thing to do). "Yes on the photo! I was just a Dad working a desk job making unhealthy choices that added up. That photo is around 2009. I finally got “sick and tired of being sick and tired” What exactly did Chad mean by that? On further probing, he said this.... 
Chad with his family
At that time I was on prescribed cholesterol meds, anxiety meds, and prescription heartburn meds. Got rid of all of those! A few years back someone close to me that runs hesitated when I asked if they thought it was possible for me to BQ so I kept that as motivation and to prove to my girls that anything is possible. I started making changes around 2010. Started running longer in 2014. That was the first time over 4 miles. Looking at where I was helps me remember no matter how slow today's progress is, I’m still always moving forward.

I would also say the spiritual aspect was important. I feel like the healthier my relationship with God was, the healthier I got physically. Definitely an inside out change.

So as you can clearly see, looking back at where you were can most certainly be the driving force that keeps you "always moving forward," as Chad said, to be the person you want to be. And it's a reminder that no matter how slow your progress is today, it's still progress! From the time Chad began making the changes (where he was) to now (where he is), took nearly 12 years... but it paid off for him and it can for you too. 

So pick a long term goal (perhaps it's to complete the Bass Pro Half or Full Marathon), and start making small changes today that will make that goal a reality. And in those moments when you feel like giving up (and you will definitely have those moments), stop to reflect and remember where you were so you’ll be inspired to keep "moving forward." Celebrate your progress no matter how fast or slow it might be and tell yourself this, "I may not be where I want to be today but I'm one step closer to my goal than I was yesterday." Does that make you smile or what? Now get out there and get to training. 

HAPPY RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment