Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Embrace hard things

“Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT


On December 8, iconic runner and renowned running coach Jeff Galloway completed the Disney Half Marathon using his own innovative method of run/walk intervals. And while that may not seem newsworthy considering this 76-year-old runner has run countless marathons and halves, it is worthy of celebration when you consider that Jeff had a heart attack in April that required having five stents and a pacemaker installed. “I’m on a comeback journey now,” he said. “And the half is the longest I’ve done since that incident.” Of this journey back to doing what he loves, Jeff went on to say, “I was told by my cardiac team that you just have to do one step at a time, which I did. As I started my comeback, which started two and a half months after my incident, I started with only three seconds of running and then 45 to 60 seconds of walking.” Galloway was able to run the Disney Half-Marathon Saturday, finishing in just over 3 hours, 40 minutes and described it as “the hardest half marathon of my life.”

And you know, while I will never know all the reasons God calls us to do hard things, I do know that doing them requires us to rely on Him in ways that we never would without the test, hardship or the trial. Doing hard things causes us to look to the Lord to give us the strength to move forward ‘one step at a time.' You see, when you and I make the decision to press on in our “weakness,” during hopeless and difficult situations that require great endurance to get through, we also make the decision to do it in God's power because we know there’s no other way. Doing hard things then glorifies Him and shows the world what “the power of Christ” can do through us... inspiring them to follow the Provider of this strength. 

So if you’re in an uphill battle today, hold tight my friend. Smile knowing that you have a God whose "power works best in weakness." Then boast in your inability to make it to the finish line on your own and give Him the glory for each and every step forward. This will not only boost your resolve to press on but will inspire others to seek this God of unlimited grace.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that the hard things we face in life will not only serve to draw us closer to You but will serve to exhibit Your power to those watching. Knowing that then please give us the strength and joy to hang in there when times are tough. And not only to hang in there Lord but to sing Your praises both in the fire and outside of it. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment