Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Wear the right gear

“Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.” Ephesians 6:11 NASB


I had to laugh after posting a video on social media midway through my run early yesterday morning. “When you freeze, don't come looking to me for help... LOLOL” my dear friend Jim, the most fair-weathered runner I know, commented. And while the wind chill was in the single digits, I actually wasn't cold at all. And I certainly wasn't freezing because I had the right gear. But having the right gear to be able to withstand the bitter winds of winter required sacrifice on my part, the sacrifice of both my time and my money. You see, like most everyone I know, I have to work for a living. And while there are many things I could spend my hard-earned cash on, I know the importance of having the right armor to battle the elements. Without it, I certainly would not be able to venture out in frigid temperatures to be able to do what I love. That being said, I will say this... working to have the right gear and to then put it on is well with the time. 

And you know, the same is true about “the full armor of God.” It's absolutely crucial that we not only have it but that we put it on.... something that costs us our time. You see, you and I will never acquire this protective gear that enables us to “be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil” unless we spend time in the Word. In fact the Bible is the “belt of truth” and the foundation on which all of the other pieces of the armor hinge. Which is the very reason we must study and meditate on it daily if we are to be fully protected. And if you don’t think it’s necessary to put on the armor every day, think again. The devil never takes a day, hour, or even one minute off. 

So knowing that people make time for the things that are important to them, let us make time to grow in the knowledge of Jesus Christ my friend. This will ensure that we aren’t left “in the cold” without the proper gear. It’s that important. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us everything we need to withstand the attacks of the enemy. Give us the passion and discipline Lord to make reading and studying the Word a part of our daily routine that we might always be dressed in the full armor of God. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment