Sunday, January 9, 2022

Allow the Spirit to guide you

"And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?'" Acts 8:29-30 ESV


“There I was in a new city looking for a running group having no luck. One random day a few weeks ago I went to Wal Mart to buy some things and I happened to park next to a van that had all the classic “I’m a runner” starter pack. You know the 26.2, 13.1 and other running stickers, and in the corner of the window was a sticker with FFG and a frog. I immediately knew that had to be a running group. So as I sat in the parking lot I googled it and bam! As if God guided me to the light I found my group. I requested to join online and the rest is history! I met a few people online and did my first run with the team today. I don’t understand everything God does for me or us in life, but I know he had me park next to that van for a reason, I know he gave me the courage to reach out to strangers and know God put them in my path and theirs in mine for a reason.” Do you just love this or what? Those were the words written by new friend, Nate Nolan, who allowed the Lord to guide him the to the right parking spot which put him in the right spot to enjoy a Saturday run with the group he had been looking for.

And you know, if there's one thing I've learned about being led by the Holy Spirit, it's this... The Spirit will always guide us to the exact place we need to be at the exact time we need to be there. That is, if we will listen and obey. Consider the story of Philip and the Ethiopian Eunich. Philip, who arrived in Gaza after being told to go there by an angel, heard the Spirit say, "Go over and join this chariot." His reaction? "Philip ran" to the place he was told to go and did the exact thing he was told to do. The result? The eunuch believed and was baptized. Is that a great story or what?

So knowing that the Holy Spirit is still guiding the steps of believers today, let us be ever conscious of that still small voice that says, "Go this way or that way" and follow it. We might just find a great running group or, even better, witness to a person in need of hearing the Good News.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we, as believers, are always to be ready to "go this way or that way" when the Spirit prompts us. Cause us to not only be sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit but to be immediately obedient to the Spirit's instruction. Cause us to, like Peter, run to the place we are told to go and to do the exact thing we are told to do. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment