Thursday, June 10, 2021

Procrastination has no place in our lives

“There is profit in all labor, but mere talk leads only to poverty.” Proverbs 14:23 BSB


“Oh no!” I thought to myself as I read the Facebook post the Katy Trail 50/50 published yesterday. “John and I really love this race, and we are glad that you do too! We were surprised and humbled to sell out over the weekend.” Sold out? What? To think that I would not be running one of my favorite races due to my procrastination on signing up made my stomach drop. "Oh why did you put this off Melissa?!! You kept talking about registering but you never did it!" Thankfully though, I kept reading, “After talking with Katy Trail State Park, looking over our route and aid stations, and trying to make the best decisions for our race day field, we are prepared to open up a few more registration spots for the 2021 KATY 50/50!” And do you know what I did immediately? I signed up! And not only signed up but messaged the RD (I wasn't going to put this off for another second) afterwards to see if I could say the pre-race prayer again--to which she said yes! “Oh Melissa,” I chastised myself again. “Your procrastination almost cost you two blessings.”

And you know, when it comes to procrastinating, or postponing or delaying something that needs to be done or addressed promptly, the Bible is very clear that "mere talk leads only to poverty." And it leads not only to being poor in a material sense, since those that merely talk about working never profit from their labor, but spiritually as well. Think about it. When you and I put off doing those things God is calling us to do, we not only lose out on the blessing of working for the Lord (which is a blessing beyond comprehension) but the profit to the Kingdom of someone coming to know Christ because of our actions. 

So don't put off until tomorrow what God is calling you to do today my friend. In fact, don't put off what you know you need to do for even one more moment. I was given a second chance to do what I should have done weeks earlier... but second chances are never guaranteed and should never be our backup plan. Let us "labor" now to avoid regrets later. 

Heavenly Father, thank You reminding us that we should never put off those things we know that You are calling us to do. Please cause us to know and comprehend how eternally devastating the consequences of procrastination can be so that we might work while we still have today. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment