Sunday, June 13, 2021

All for His glory

"When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it.'" John 11:4 NIV


As I headed into church early yesterday, I was still pondering the Facebook memory from a year ago that popped up on my morning feed. Included in the post from last year's Rock Island Road Race 15k that I couldn't run due to an injury (but was able to walk) was the hashtag #toGodbetheglory. And God indeed got the glory for that hard-earned finish in 2020 just as he did for yesterday's finish (much faster of course) at the same race. But that's what our God does... He uses our pain, our trials, our failures, our victories, and even our sicknesses to bring Him glory; a fact He drove home through a conversation with my dear friend, Gretchen, on my way out of service. "I heard about your diagnosis and I'm so sorry. I've been praying for you," I told her as I fought back tears. "I know," Gretchen replied. "And I appreciate that very much. I'm going to beat this cancer." But it's what she said next, after describing her hair loss and the awful side effects of her treatment, that had us both crying, "This is so hard. This is certainly not my plan and not the way I would have chosen to bring Him glory but He has me in the palm of His hand and I will trust Him.... and I will pray that He is glorified through my pain." And after texting Gretchen later to receive her permission to share the story, Gretchen texted back," Please - I meant what I said - this is all for God's glory. I am just His instrument."

And you know, while it might be truly hard for us to understand the reasons we are allowed to suffer, especially when we are following Christ and doing our best to live for Him, we would do well to understand that God's ways are not our ways and that His plans are always better than ours. Consider the story of Lazarus. Jesus called him a "friend" and yet Lazarus still fell ill, and even died. But all this was done "for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." And indeed God was glorified, and many of the lost inspired to follow Christ, when Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the grave; something that could not have been done had Lazarus not been struck with "this sickness." 

So if you, like Gretchen, are battling something you just don't understand today, remember this my friend... you and I are His instruments to be used as He wills. And no matter what we have to face in this life, we have the promise that He will be with us, that He will hold us in the palm of His hand, that He will give us the strength to face whatever comes our way, and that He is working all things for our good and for His glory. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us so intimately that You would personally walk with us through this life. Lord, help us to trust You in every situation so that we might willfully give up our lives to be used as You will. Cause us to be joyful in every situation Father knowing that our time on earth is short and that our death will only be the beginning of an eternal life spent with You. May we bring You glory Lord in all that we say and do. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment