Sunday, June 20, 2021

We are a family

"Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.'" Mark 3:34-35 NIV


While driving home from church yesterday afternoon, I was overwhelmed by the goodness of God as I counted my blessings for what seemed the millionth time; blessings that included having a 'family' that I was connected to not by blood but by a mutual love for the Savior. You see, I had just spent Saturday morning (as I do nearly every weekend) running with like-minded friends that serve as this 'family.' And then yesterday, I worshiped alongside many of those same friends, even meeting with two of them at the altar to pray. The thought of knowing that these people would always be there for me literally brought me to tears. Throughout many miles and many years, this 'family' (that the Lord is adding to all the time) has served as my support system, my counseling team, my cheerleading squad, my pace group, and my Bible study group among other things. Quite honestly, I don't know what I would do without this 'family' and I know they feel the same way; which is the very reason we drag ourselves out of bed before sunrise every Saturday morning. We just long to be with family. 

And you know, when it comes to family, or a group of people that are related by blood or marriage, Jesus made it clear that the definition of this group included those not only related by blood or marriage but by a love for God and a willingness to do His will. Which means that as a body of believers, we are all family united in the purpose of glorifying Christ; something we do by loving and serving others. And while this is most definitely comforting news for all of us, it’s especially comforting to those people who might not have a conventional family to provide the love, companionship, guidance, assistance and care they need—all those things a church family provides. Does that make you smile or what? 

So if you have a church family (and we are the church not the building), count your blessings my friend. You are surely the recipient of God's amazing grace. But if you don't, I would urge you to find one to be a part of. I can assure you that it will change your life for the better. 

Heavenly Father, thank You the timely reminder as we just celebrated Father's Day that family is not limited to those people who we are related to us by blood or marriage but by a love for You, the most loving Father any person could ever have. Lord, help us to fulfill our roles within the church family you have established so that we would better love, serve, and fellowship with our brothers and sisters at every opportunity. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment