Thursday, April 1, 2021

Jesus conquered death once and for all

“ When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” Revelation 1:17-18 ESV


As an ultra runner (a person who regularly runs distances longer than a 26.2 mile marathon), I can’t even begin to add up the number of times I’ve heard questions like, ”You run how far?” or “You can run for that long and not have to sleep? How is that possible? Don’t you ever get tired?” And one of my favorites that always makes me smile, “Why would anyone want to run that far anyway?” And while I always try my best to explain the “whys” and just how amazing the human body is made—and how it can endure and do much more than anyone could ever imagine, I’m inevitably left with the person shaking their head and saying, ”I just don’t understand how that’s possible. It’s hard to believe.” And I guess I can understand their reaction when I look at how seemingly impossible it indeed seems to the majority of people. 

And you know, the same can be said of the way the death of Jesus on the cross conquered death once and for all? Death conquered death? That’s impossible and makes no sense right? Oh but it makes total sense when you and I stop to consider that Jesus didn’t stay dead. Oh no! Jesus Christ triumphed over death when He rose again on the third day, never to die again—and this is how He truly conquered death and earned the right to say, "I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” You see, the key to Christ conquering death lies in the word "forevermore." Other people have died and have been resurrected, but they all ended up dying again. Only Jesus was resurrected, never to die again. And because of this, every person who has placed their trust in Him will live again in heaven after they die. Seems impossible, I know, but it’s not. 

So as we prepare to celebrate Good Friday and this blessed Easter weekend, let us stop to remember that the resurrection of Jesus Christ did something seemingly impossible... it allowed Jesus, by his death, to conquer death once and for all. Something that we shouldn't keep to ourselves but declare to the lost so that they too can live again with Christ into eternity. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the sacrifice of your one and only Son who, by his death, conquered death to give us life. Lord, while we were still sinners, Christ did this for us. Cause that knowledge to quicken and strengthen our resolve to share the Good News with others not only on this blessed holiday weekend but at every opportunity, especially now as we see the end times drawing ever closer. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment