Sunday, April 25, 2021

Divinely inspired events

"Led by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. And when the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for Him what was customary under the Law," Luke 2:27 BSB


While headed to our group run early Saturday morning, I had an overwhelming urge to pull into Kum and Go. "Well I guess I'll get a cup of coffee," I thought to myself, "even though I really don't want one." "Okay Lord," I prayed silently as I went in and looked around. "Please show me who it is I should speak to." Approaching the counter with my coffee in hand, I then sensed that I was supposed to talk to the young man in front of me. "Boy I hope it stops raining soon," I said in an attempt to open up the conversation. "Me too," came his reply as he shook his head. "I was traveling to Chicago from Oklahoma to visit family and my truck broke down here." After some more small talk and confirming that help was on the way, I wished him well and headed to my car. And that's when I felt the prompting to act again. As the man stood outside under the awning to make a call, I pulled up beside him and rolled down my window. "Sir," I called out. "I know I'm a complete stranger but it's no coincidence that we met and I just want you to know that I'll be praying for you." At that, the man smiled and said, "Bless you. You have no idea how much that means to me."

And you know, if you've ever been on the receiving end of hearing the right words at the right time, you know that it was a divinely inspired event. And these events which happen when a believer is "led by the Spirit,” as Simeon was, not only have the power to change someone's day or circumstances but their lives. What does it mean to be led by the Spirit though? It means to be walking so close with Jesus that you are not only able to discern the promptings of the Holy Spirit but are immediately obedient in following them. And we do this by meeting with Him daily through Bible study, prayer and meditation; something that is of the utmost importance if we are to grow in the grace and knowledge that shows us the way to walk. 

So if you have not made reading and studying the Word your first priority, today's a great day to move it to the very top of your to-do list and keep it there my friend. After all, if you and I want to be "led by the Spirit," we must learn to recognize His voice and his promptings; something that regular time spent with the Lord allows us to do. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for this divinely arranged appointment that blessed me as much as it did him. Lord, compel us to read and study the Word that we might come to know You better so we can walk in step with You. Use us in big ways Lord to lead the lost to You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment