Sunday, March 15, 2020

Go out to help

“Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.” Matthew 9:35 NIV

Image result for bring groceries to elderly pic

On March 11, Pro-runner Rebecca Mehra tweeted , I went to the grocery store this afternoon. As I was walking in I heard a woman yell to me from her car. I walked over and found an elderly woman and her husband. She cracked her window open a bit more, and explained to me nearly in tears that they are afraid to go in the store. Afraid to get sick as they are in their 80s and hear that the novel coronavirus is affecting older people disproportionately. And that they don’t have family around to help them out. Through the crack in the window she handed me a $100 bill and a grocery list, and asked if I would be willing to buy her groceries. I bought the groceries and placed them in her trunk, and gave her back the change. She told me she had been sitting in the car for nearly 45 min before I had arrived, waiting to ask the right person for help.

And you know, as the fear of contracting COVID-19 lingers, more and more people, especially the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, will be looking for that ‘right person’ to help them too. And just who is that ‘right person’ you might ask? You and me of course! And every other believer who should be using this opportunity to be like Jesus and go out into our “towns and villages” to assist those in need. And while you and I might not be able to heal “disease and sickness” as Jesus did, we can preach the "good news of the kingdom" that will provide the hope so many people are desperately searching for. 

So what are you waiting for my friend? Don’t wait for an opportunity to do good to come to you. Get out there and find one! You can be sure there will be many. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being a God who comes out to meet us. Help us to follow that example and be people who constantly search for occasions to be Your hands and feet. Put to rest our fears Lord and give us an urgent willingness to serve others that we might lead them to the foot of the Cross by our actions and our testimonies. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment