Sunday, March 29, 2020

Best change of plans

"And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 BSB

Image may contain: 2 people, including Melissa Martinez, people smiling, outdoor and nature

After breaking down and finally going to the chiropractor for several adjustments, I was running faster and better than ever and was more than ready (or so I thought) to run the Social-Distancing Virtual Marathon we had planned Saturday. And as I made "my plans" that morning to finish the race in about four hours, I now realize the Lord was probably laughing. You see, while the first 13.1 miles went exactly according to "my plan," I felt a sharp pain in my back and hip soon afterwards that ruined it. But you know what? God's plan was so much better than “my plan!” You see, after being forced to slow down in an attempt to just complete the 26.2 miles around the town’s track, my dear friend, Ashley, showed up ‘unexpectedly’ to run a few laps (6ft apart of course). And she not only kept me company and cheered me on until it became too painful to continue but then walked the last seven miles with me away from the track. And let me tell you... Ashley and I had so much fun laughing in the rain, exploring the back roads, checking out all the signs of spring and enjoying the laid back pace that I was, once again, truly grateful for God’s change of plans. 

And you know, if you and I are honest, we would all admit to making "plans" that didn't go as planned. But if you're a follower of Jesus Christ, I bet you can't think of even one time when your failed plans were better than God's. I know I can't. And honestly if I hadn't come to realize this through the many times the Lord has proven it to be true, I would probably have been upset at the sudden change of plans over the weekend. But I wasn't! I was excited to see what God was going to do instead. And He didn't fail to keep His promise. He never does. 

So during this time when the coronavirus is changing the plans of everyone in the world, take heart in knowing that God works “all things together for the good of those who love Him.” And while you and I may not see it or understand it right now, you can be sure we will one day. Find comfort in that my friend and trust Him. His plans are always better than ours. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for proving over and over that You can be trusted. Since the beginning of time, You have never not kept a promise. And the Word says that You are the same yesterday, today and forever. Help us to truly understand that Lord that we would have complete peace in a time of turmoil and surrender our plans to Yours in hopeful expectation of how much better they will be. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment