Sunday, December 23, 2018

Prepare your hearts

"Then the LORD told Moses, “Go down and prepare the people for my arrival. Consecrate them today and tomorrow, and have them wash their clothing. Be sure they are ready on the third day, for on that day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai as all the people watch." Exodus 19:10,11


Image result for read bible on christmas pic
As I do nearly every Sunday morning, I rose before dawn yesterday to spend time in the Word and then go for a run. And while getting up and out before daylight might not be the way most people "prepare" for church, it's exactly the thing that helps to prepare my heart for worship. As you can imagine then, Sunday runs are always my favorite. But yesterday's was even more so. You see, as I was deep in prayer and intently listening to the words, "O holy night the stars are brightly shining. It is the night of our dear Savior's birth..." I realized that I was preparing my heart to celebrate something much bigger than a Sunday service - I was preparing my heart to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

And you know tonight is indeed the night of our dear Savior's birth! It is the night we are called to fall on our knees and to hear the angel voices. It is the night divine, the night when Christ was born. And just as the Lord told Moses to "prepare" the people to meet with the Lord, with hearts ready and intent on worshiping the King of kings, you and I should be preparing our hearts to worship Jesus Christ on the day of His virgin birth.

So as you and I "prepare" to celebrate Christmas tomorrow, may we begin by preparing our hearts right now. May we prepare them to truly grasp the significance of the birth of a Savior who would leave his throne on high to be born as flesh and to die a sinner's death on a cross, having done no wrong, so He could save us from our sins. All because of love. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of Christmas. Help us to remember that it's not about lights, presents or festivities but about the virgin birth of Jesus Christ. May we spend the day preparing our hearts for worship Lord that we might truly understand and grasp the enormity of what we are celebrating tomorrow. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Oh Holy night - Carrie Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment