Sunday, October 14, 2018

Thankful for deliverance

"He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:13,14 ESV


Related image
Through a series of events, the Lord arranged for me to speak to a group of young women recovering from drug and alcohol addiction about the proven benefits of adding running to their recovery program. And during the weeks that followed, while encouraging them to continue exercising, I grew to dearly love each one of these ladies. So when I was invited to their church, whose motto is "welcome felons, junkies and saints" and the majority of the worshipers are also recovering addicts, I didn't hesitate. And what a glorious service it was! As I joined them in singing the words, "I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away. Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah," it was clear, from the tears, shouts and hands lifted high, there were a lot of people overwhelmingly thankful for deliverance Sunday. 

But you know, each one of us should show this same uninhibited and overwhelmingly grateful attitude of worship for God's presence in our lives too - because we have all been delivered. We may not have been from delivered from addiction, prostitution, homelessness or prison, but we have all been "delivered" from "the domain of darkness" and the power of sin. And because of this, you and I aren't condemned to die but "have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." 

I don't know about you my friend, but the thought of that makes me want to shout for joy! So may you and I remember that we always have something to be thankful for and always a have a reason to lift our hands and sing, "You have been so, so good to me."

Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us when we are so undeserving. To think that You would leave the 99 for the one that has strayed is a thought beyond comprehension and a realization that should bring each one of us to our knees in worship and appreciation. Help us Lord to realize that we are all sinners and to love and forgive one another in the same way You have done for us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Reckless Love - Cory Asbury

No comments:

Post a Comment