Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Total dependence

"Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead." 2 Corinthians 1:9 NIV


Related image
As I stepped out into the quiet darkness and deeply inhaled the smells of the early morning air yesterday, the smells of nature I had been missing since a hamstring strain had necessitated the need to simulate my runs in a pool for four weeks, I was totally overcome with emotion knowing that, timewise, the injury should have healed but I was still fearful. "Oh Lord," I pleaded out loud as the tears began to flow. "Please allow me to run today. Forgive me if I have been prideful in any way or have not given You glory where glory is due. I humbly confess that I am nothing without you and I can do nothing on my own."

And you know, as hard as it is to endure times of trial or suffering, those times are necessary to draw us closer to God. In fact, the Bible tells us that hardships happen "that we might not rely on ourselves but on God." They teach us that we are powerless to change other people and most situations. That sense of powerlessness then drives us into the Father's arms with a humble dependence on Him like nothing else could. Suffering brings a "one day at a time-ness" to our survival. It drives us to pray, "Lord, I can't make it through today without You. I can't make it through the next minute without You. Lord, I need You!"

So if you're experiencing heartache, hurt or pain today that you have absolutely no control over, take heart my friend. Realizing that we have no control over much of our lives sends us running to the very place we need to be... the Father's arms.

Heavenly Father, thank You for the adversities and afflictions in our lives that draw us closer to You and make us stronger. Help us to endure these times with patience knowing that we will be better for it. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Better for it - Riley Clemmons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9n_65BLM3A

No comments:

Post a Comment