Tuesday, July 3, 2018

True Independence

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17


Image result for prisoner breaking free pic
While driving home from work yesterday evening, I was doing what many other runners around our great nation were doing, I was thinking about the run I had planned in the morning with friends to celebrate Independence Day. And while lost in thought, I glanced to the side just in time to read a Church billboard that said, "TRUE INDEPENDENCE IS DEPENDENCE ON JESUS." Hmmm, I thought. What does that really mean?

Well, if independence can be defined as the state of showing a desire for freedom, and freedom defined as liberation from slavery, I'd say it means that true independence can only result from being released from the chains of bondage. And that release can only come from our dependence, or our putting our complete reliance, confidence and trust in Jesus. You see, it's only when you and I truly believe that God loves, accepts and forgives us, that we are free from the burden of sin and free to live for Him knowing that, "the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 

So let us, you and I, celebrate our true independence today by singing praises to the Lord my friend. Praises arising from grateful hearts that can't help but declare, "Free at last, He has ransomed me. His grace runs deep. While I was a slave to sin, Jesus died for me. Yes He died for me. Who the Son sets free, oh is free indeed. I’m a child of God, yes I am."

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that true independence and freedom comes from knowing who we are in You and knowing that You have released us from the chains of sin and condemnation to live as sons and daughters of the King. May this knowledge refresh our hearts today as we celebrate what it truly means to be free. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Who You Say I am - Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment