Monday, July 9, 2018

Pray for all people

"I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them." 1 Timothy 2:1


Image result for group of people praying pic
As I usually do when I'm not out of town for a race, I joined a group of friends for a run early Saturday morning a few weeks ago. And while many of my running buddies left immediately after the run, two of my dear girlfriends joined me for some stretching. Throughout the course of this cool-down exercise, we discussed the things that were going on in our lives including a concern that was potentially life-changing for one of them. As I listened intently, the urge to pray over this situation right then and right there was overwhelming. "Hey girls," I said, "can I pray with you?" And in the middle of the park, that's exactly what we did.

You know, when it comes to praying for those in need, Paul urges us to "pray for all people" asking "God to help them." He stressed the importance of interceding, or pleading to the Lord on behalf of another person, and giving "thanks for them." And you can bet that he meant anytime and everytime the Holy Spirit prompts us to do so. You see, prayer is our direct and constant lifeline to the Lord and it's the way you and I can and should, at any time, lift our brothers and sisters up when they need it most.

So don't be embarrassed or afraid to pray for someone who is hurting, anxious or afraid my friend. Because as Richard J. Foster wrote, "If we truly love people, we will desire for them far more than it is within our power to give them, and this will lead us to prayer: Intercession is a way of loving others."

Heavenly Father, thank You for the Holy Spirit living inside of us that prompts us to pray for others when they are in need. Thank You for the promise that You will turn your ear to us and hear those prayers. Help us to be those people who lift up our friends, family, communities and leaders in prayer that the whole world would come to know You because of it. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

What if His people prayed - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment