Thursday, February 15, 2018

There can be assurance

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." John 5:24


Most days, my morning runs are spent in praise and worship. But yesterday was so different. Even while in constant prayer and with joyful Christian music in my ears, I went into my workout with a heavy heart and ended it with a heavy heart. I just couldn't make sense of it... 17 people senselessly killed in one of the deadliest school shootings in modern history. And I couldn't get the words out of my head that Sarah Crescitelli, a freshman who was in the school when the shots rang out, texted to her mother for what she thought might be the last time, "If I don't make it, I love you and appreciate everything you did for me." 

As a mother, my heart truly aches for those parents who lost their children on February 14. But it grieves even more for those who may not have that blessed assurance that they will see them again one day. And while we can't always protect our children from evil or sudden death, we can, by inspiring them to hear the word and believe “him who sent me,” guarantee that they will have "eternal life." You see, the best thing that you and I can ever do for our kids is to love the Lord with all our hearts and to teach them to do the same. 

So if you don't have that blessed assurance today, won't you sit down with your chuldren and talk to them about Jesus? I promise that it will be the most important conversation you will ever have and could, one day, inspire them to say, "I love you and appreciate everything you did for me." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the promise that this world is not all there is and that there is eternal life for all those who believe. Lord, I pray that this world would see a revival and that it would start with us today and spread out like a wildfire. And Lord, I pray peace and comfort for those people in Florida struggling to make sense of the tragedy. May they turn to you. It's in your precious name pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

If we ever needed You - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment