Thursday, February 22, 2018

A blessing in disguise

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:71


Image result for runner praying pic
For many people, running is more than just a workout. It's a means of reducing stress, sorting through thoughts and enjoying some quiet time with the Lord. So when my dear friend, Amanda, an avid ultra-runner, announced that she would need ankle surgery and not be able to run for several months, I prayed that she would not only persevere through the trial, but one day be thankful for the lessons learned from the trial. And thankful she was -  saying this about her experience, "All the time God is good! It has definitely made me realize just how fragile I am and that I am definitely NOT the one in control. That running is NOT the most important thing in life and in my weakness HE is strong and that every day is a day of grace and that I should be relying on him. And at any moment all of it can be taken away."

And you know, as sad as it is, many times it takes hardships, illness or trouble for us to be reminded of what's truly important in life. The psalmist, after experiencing misfortune himself, realized that and acknowledged, "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." You see, the psalmist was thankful for whatever the trial was he had gone through, although I'm sure it wasn't pleasant at the time, because it was the very thing that caused him to seek and draw closer to the Lord. And growing in faith, no matter what affliction inspires it, is always something that you and I should be thankful for.

So if you're going through a hard time today, take heart my friend - and know that if a ‘blessing in disguise’ is defined as something that seems bad or unlucky at first, but results in something good happening later, this trial could very well be one of the biggest blessings you will ever receive. That is, if you draw closer to Him through it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us so much  that You would bring good out of the things we think will break us. Please give us the strength to endure affliction and pain and use it to draw us closer to You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Blessings - Laura Story

No comments:

Post a Comment