Sunday, February 4, 2018

By our actions

"Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions." 1 John 3:18


Image result for runners helping homeless picSaturday morning was perfect running weather. So perfect, in fact, that I decided to finish up my long run with some speed-work. And as I was clipping along, lost in worship music with a flood of endorphins coursing through my body, it happened. My toe nicked a portion of the uneven sidewalk and I came down fast and hard on my side, tearing my gloves and ripping a hole in my tights over my left knee. Laying there in pain and shock, I could hear the cars passing me by. "Didn't anyone see me fall?" I wondered. "Why isn't anyone stopping to help?" Finally summoning the courage and strength to get up, I smiled as one passerby finally slowed and rolled down her window to check on me. "I'll be okay, " I said gratefully. "Thank you for caring."

As Christians, we are called to really care about and love each other, not to merely say that we do right? But what does that look like? Well... love, as Merriam-Webster defines it, is a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties - indicating that for love to be felt between people, they must have a relationship of some kind. But God calls us to a deeper love for others, one that flows out of our love for and relationship with Him. You see, the more we love Jesus, the more we will love others, even strangers or those we have no personal ties with - and that love will be so evident that it will be revealed by the way we care for and treat those around us. 

So today, and every day, "let's not merely say that we love each other" but "let us show the truth by our actions." May we always stop to help those in need and really look to make a difference in a world that so desperately needs to feel the love of the Savior. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us even though we are so undeserving of it. Thank you for caring about us each time we fall and for helping us rise to our feet again. Help us to love others in the same way Lord, that they might come to know You because of it. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Kingdom-Kristian Standfill

No comments:

Post a Comment