Sunday, May 21, 2017

Lift them up

"But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:32


Image result for person praying

On May 22, 2011, an EF5 twister tore through the quaint little town of Joplin, Missouri and claimed the lives of 161 people. In an effort to restore hope and honor the victims, the Joplin Memorial Marathon was formed the following year and has been held each year since with 2017 to be no exception. So as I checked into my hotel the night before the race, I wasn't surprised when a gentleman asked me if I would be running in the morning. When I responded yes and asked the same of him, I admit I wasn't ready for his answer. "This is the first time we have been back since the tornado. I'm running the 5k in honor of my 16-year-old son who was killed in it." Fighting back tears, I expressed my sincerest sympathies and asked him if he would like to join us for the prerace prayer we had planned in the morning. As his race began 30 minutes after mine, he declined saying he was going to sleep in... but then turned back and said, "Would you please pray for me though?" And after shutting the door to my room, I finally allowed those tears I had been holding back to flow freely as I did what I said I absolutely would do-I prayed right then for my new friend.

And this intercession, or the prayer offered by one person on behalf of another, is the same example of prayer that Jesus gave us to follow when he prayed for Peter. You see, although Jesus knew Peter's faith would falter (denying him three times), he pleaded to the Father that it would, "not fail." And, thanks to the prayer of a friend, Peter "turned back" and went on to be a man of great faith, strengthening his brothers and leading many people to Christ.  That one prayer offered on his behalf changed the course of Peter's life. 

And you know, there are lost, lonely and hurting people all around us today in need of prayer-for the one prayer that might change their lives as well. So may you and I be those intercessors that take their needs, wants and hurts to the Throne because as Max Lucado writes, "You are never more like Jesus than when you pray for others. Pray for this hurting world." 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your example of what it truly means to love others. Help us to love in the same way, so strongly that we would lift others up in prayer the same way you did Peter. Help us to be bold in and obedient to this calling you have placed on all believers. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Casting Crowns - Prayer for a friend







No comments:

Post a Comment