Thursday, May 4, 2017

Do it today

"Indeed, how can people avoid what they don't know is going to happen? None of us can hold back our spirit from departing. None of us has the power to prevent the day of our death..." Ecclesiastes 8:7,8 NLT


Image result for people hugging pic

Nearing the end of my morning run and enjoying the sun that finally made it's appearance after nearly a week of torrential rain and thunderstorms, I paid no real attention to the farm truck headed in my direction. That is until it was so close that I could see what was about to happen. Hitting the huge puddle at the exact moment the vehicle passed me, a muddy mixture nearly five foot high struck me out of nowhere. "I surely didn't see that coming," I thought to myself as I shook it off and wiped the water from my eyes. But life is like that isn't it? Within seconds, it can change. 

The events of the past weekend surely reminded me of that too. You see on Wednesday afternoon, my daughter and I attended the funeral of an 18-year-old boy who died as a result of the floods that swept through our state over the weekend. Headed home from prom Friday night, he surely never saw it coming as he drove through the water crossing that claimed his life. And, unfortunately, as this tragedy reminds us all, no one knows what will happen to them in the next minute, hour or day and no one has the power to prevent the day of their death. But there's one thing we do have power over and that's making the most out of every moment we are given. 

So knowing that disaster and misfortune can strike out of nowhere, I urge you to take a moment today to tell the people you love that you love them. Call your mother, hug your children tight, make someone smile, mend a broken friendship and tell someone about Jesus. Live with purpose and make an impact on someone's life today because, honestly, today may be all you have. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that life can change or end in an instant. Help us to truly understand that, that we might live boldly loving people, literally, like there's no tomorrow. And Lord, I pray for the family and loved ones of this young boy that they might find peace in the midst of sorrow and that they would turn to you for comfort. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Good to be alive - Jason Gray






No comments:

Post a Comment