Wednesday, March 8, 2017

They will know

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34, 35

Related image

In a recent Runner's World article, Nancy, who started running three weeks ago, asked the question that many other beginning runners have asked, "Do I have to race to be a true "runner"? My answer to that would be of course not and the writer agreed replying, "No, you absolutely do not have to do a race in order to be considered a “runner". For me, a person becomes a runner the moment they realize that they enjoy moving more than not moving. When you enjoy running, you run on a regular basis, whether that is two or three days a week—or seven. A runner looks forward to his or her runs and plans days around their runs. If he or she can’t run for some reason, they miss it. It’s not about pace, distance, or races. It’s about your mindset and about your commitment to get out the door and move."

And one thing is certain, when you are a "runner" it will be obvious to those around you just as it should have been when you became a Christian. It should be so obvious to those around us because of our changed behavior and, most importantly, our Christ-like love for others. In fact the Bible tells us, "As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples..." Did you get that part though? As I have loved you? Jesus loved us when we cursed him and didn't love him back. He loved the prostitute, the drug addict, the adulterer, the homeless man and those afflicted with disease. He loved each one of us with a selfless love, giving all he had yet getting nothing in return. 

So if you've ever wondered whether you are a true Christian, ask yourself these questions. Am I loving others the way Jesus loved me? And am I loving them so much that it is obvious to others? I hope the answer is yes-because the world will only know we are Christians by our love. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would endure death on a cross for us. Help us Lord to love others in the same way that we might lead them to you. May our love be so evident that the world will know, without a doubt, that we are your disciples. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

They will know we are Christians - Jars of Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment