Sunday, March 26, 2017

Keep walking

"But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded." 2 Chronicles 15:7


Image result for people walking pic

This past weekend, the fifth annual Prairie Spirit Trail 50k/50 & 100 mile races took place in Ottawa, Kansas. Opting to do the 100 mile distance, some friends and I were off and running by 6:00 a.m Saturday. Knowing that this would be a hard event to complete and most definitely not a sprint, I quickly settled into a slow and steady rhythm that I hoped would get me to the finish line before the 30-hour cutoff. Nearing mile 60 though, I was keenly aware that I lacked the strength to keep up the pace and told myself, "You can slow down but keep running!" And a slow run I did for the next 10 miles until I realized that running was no longer an option. With my feet swollen and blistered and my thinking altered by a lack of sleep, I debated giving up until my son, Luke, joined me and said, "Just keep walking!" So walk we did. For the next ten hours, he and I walked in the cold, dark night on the desolate trail to make it to the finish line. As hard as it was to keep moving and stay focused, giving up was not an option. We decided that we would even crawl if we had to because, as my son reminded me, "You've come too far to turn back now." 

You know when it comes to serving God, I, like most people, would prefer an easy task wouldn't you? Something that doesn't cost me or cause me pain. But God never told us that it would be easy did He? Or that our service would come without sacrifice? But He did tell us to be strong and to never give up in the pursuit of those things He called us to giving us this promise, "your work will be rewarded." You see, although we are all called to serve in different ways, you and I will always experience those easy times when we are off and running, the difficult ones when we slow down to a walk and then the downright back-breaking and exhausting periods when all we can manage is a crawl. But the one thing we have to remind ourselves is to never give up and to keep moving forward. 

And while I received a coveted belt buckle for my pursuit on the course, that was not the reason I was running. You see I am a servant of Christ and in pursuit of a higher calling-to share the Good News wherever I am sent. So I urge you today, wherever God has called you and whatever he has called you to... run, walk or crawl in your pursuit of it but never ever give up. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings in our lives. Thank you for the individual calling you have placed on each one of us and for the promise that you would give us the strength and ability to complete it whether by running, walking or crawling. Help us Lord to remember that promise and, no matter how hard it gets, to never ever give up. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Move - TobyMac
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shorts, shoes, child and outdoor
With my son who would later pace me to the finish line
Image may contain: 1 person, standing and indoor
A very emotional finish with a friend who finished nearly an hour before me
Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and shoes
Ready to run
Image may contain: one or more people and people standing
Started off with prayer



No comments:

Post a Comment