Thursday, January 19, 2017

Trust the promise

"No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you." Joshua 1:5


Image result for running in storm pic

Between the ice storms, winter rains and unusual lingering cloud cover, we literally have not seen sunlight here in the Missouri Ozarks region for almost two weeks making for a somber mood for many. So as I was applying sunscreen (something I always do) before setting out on my morning run yesterday, I thought to myself, "Why bother? The sun isn't coming out today anyway." And then I smiled... I may not see the sun today but that's okay. Even on the darkest day, the Son is there. 

You know sometimes our spiritual lives can get kind of dark too, as we go through periods when the sun seems to have disappeared and life gets so hard we are tempted to just give up. These are the times we might even doubt if God is really there and if he even cares. Well I can assure you that, just like the sun, God is always here with us whether we can see him or not-because the promise that he gave to Joshua is the same one he gave to you and me, "I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you." 

Oswald Chambers once wrote, "At times God puts us through the discipline of darkness to teach us to heed Him. Song birds are taught to sing in the dark, and we are put into the shadow of God's hand until we learn to hear Him." So today, trust not only in the promise that God will be with you in your darkest moments but that he has a purpose for them as well. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the promise to be with us in the good times, the bad times and every day in between. Help us to trust in that promise and to trust that you have a purpose for our pain. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


Center of it - Chris August


No comments:

Post a Comment