Tuesday, January 10, 2017

True success

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7

Image result for running in the wind pic

With 30 mph winds and wind gusts well over 50 mph yesterday morning, my long run did not go as planned. It was nearly impossible to keep a decent pace as I battled this force of nature I felt was intent on blowing me away. Midway through my three-hour run and already feeling fatigued from the fight, I knew that completing my mileage goal was going to be impossible. But I persevered anyway remembering that a successful run isn't always measured in speed or miles completed.... sometimes success is measured in simply not giving up even if you have to crawl.

You know when it comes to success, the apostle Paul knew that it wasn't measured in conventional ways either. Nearing the end of his life and reflecting back on it, Paul wrote these words to Timothy,  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." With those words Paul revealed that he didn't measure his life's success in having achieved notoriety, fame or riches but in finishing the race-fulfilling the calling God had given him despite the trials and troubles he endured along the way fighting tirelessly until the very end. He had achieved the ultimate success because he could boldly proclaim that he never gave up running until his race was done. 

So I wonder? How do you measure success? Is it by the amount of money you have in the bank, the car you drive or the house you own? That surely is not the way God measures it my friend. A successful life lived will allow us to, like Paul, boldly proclaim that we have fought the good fight, finished the race and kept the faith.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the example of Paul and other followers of Christ that never gave up no matter how hard the race got. May we, like them, view success only as how we used our time and resources to fulfill the purpose you have given us. Help us Lord to fight the good fight and keep the faith that we might finish the race and meet you face to face. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

The good fight - Unspoken



No comments:

Post a Comment