Sunday, December 4, 2016

Press on

"I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." Philippians 3:14


Image result for runner in the rain pic
The Cambridge Dictionary defines the term "press on" as: to start or continue doing something in a determined way, often despite problems. And this persistent, steady, purposeful and unwavering resolve to move forward in the face of difficulties is the exact characteristic that an ultra-runner must display to make it to the finish line. Never had I realized that more than on Saturday. You see, in order to complete the 100k race I was set to run before the 12-hour cutoff, I had to stay focused as never before-checking my Garmin multiple times each minute to make sure I was on pace (and stayed that way) while praying constantly leaving my mind unable to think of anything but the finish line. Regardless of the changing weather or weariness, I was, what you might say, making a most determined effort to "press on."

And this same attitude is crucial to display in our spiritual lives as well if we are to "reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." You see, there are many 'problems' that can take us off course or slow us down... if we let them. But just as an athlete runs through pain, fatigue, hunger and inclement weather, you and I need to "press on" and persevere through these 'problems' with our eyes fixed on knowing Christ, being like him and completing the race that he has called us to. 

So when tragedy, adversities, problems or worries come our way, what do we do? Press on of course-moving forward in spite of anything in our path that threatens to take our eyes off the goal of finishing the race and claiming the prize. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us the strength, determination and perseverance it takes to press on in the midst of afflictions and difficulties if we would only keep our hearts, eyes and minds focused on you. Help us to run this race worthy to receive the prize and by our example lead others to do the same. It's in your most precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Press on - Mandisa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MqUdya0-Bs
Approaching my daughter at the turnaround 
Approaching mile 16 with my good friend and fellow TEAM 413 member giving me a thumbs up from behind. 

My sweet friend came to cheer me on and we snapped this right after the race after I had shed my hydration belt and night lamp. 

A prerace photo

A pre-race picture at the You Don't Know Jack trail run in Carthage- the race offered many distances including the 50k which my dear friends did

My new friend and I displaying our "treasures".. a 100k belt buckle we earned for our efforts. Oh how this will pale in comparison to what our Father has in store for us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment