Monday, December 26, 2016

A work in progress

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." Philippians 1:6

Image result for hoka shoe boxes pic

I'm pretty sure that whoever coined the phrase, "All good things must come to an end" was talking about running shoes and the sadness we runners feel when our model is replaced. Although I had received a pair of my favorite Hokas for my birthday just last week, my husband asked me why I was buying another pair yesterday when I hadn't even worn the new ones yet. "You have a gift card," he said, "why don't you use the money to buy something you don't have." Because, I told him, when they're gone they're gone for good-like all running footwear, this model will be discontinued. 

Don't you hate it when something you love just goes away? Well thankfully God our Father will never go away or discontinue helping us. The Bible tells us so when it says that He who began the good work within you and me will never stop but, "will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." In fact, Paul wrote that he was certain of it. And why this certainty? Because Paul knew that from the day he first believed, the Holy Spirit came to live in him enabling him to be more like Christ-helping him grow in grace and mature in faith, a task that would continue until Jesus returned and God would be finished with his work in him. 

And as believers you and I can be certain of that same thing. While things around us will change, shoes will come and go, one thing is certain... when God starts a project, he completes it. And you and I my friend will be a work in progress until the day our Lord returns. I guess all good things don't have to come to an end then, do they?  

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that, no matter how much we feel that we may not be making progress in our walk with you, you are always there guiding, shaping and molding us and will continue doing us until the day of Christ's return. Help us to be patient with ourselves and others knowing that you are patient with us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Wait and see - Brandon Heath




No comments:

Post a Comment