Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Time and again

"He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters." Psalm 18:16

Image result for moth in hand pic

After a high mileage week and weekend, I decided to do a little pool running to recover yesterday and was happy to find that I was the only one there. As I enjoyed the freedom of having the pool to myself, I spotted a moth struggling to stay afloat. Poor thing, I thought as I scooped it up and gently laid it on the dry concrete. Within a few seconds, I was happy to see that the little bug fluttered its wings and crawled away no worse for the wear. Two laps later though, guess who was back in the pool? That little moth again. "Okay dummy, this is the last time I'm going to do this," I said as I once again scooped him up and set him on safe ground.

As I watched him struggle yet again to regain his composure, I couldn't help but think of the many times this dummy (me) had to be rescued... and sometimes from the very thing that got me into trouble just moments before. But time and again, just like God did with the psalmist, "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters." At some point in all our lives, troubles like "deep waters" will threaten to drown us. Whether it's something we have brought on ourselves or something out of our control, there is only One that is big enough, strong enough and gracious enough to continue to pull us out time after time after time. You guessed that one too, it's Jesus. 

Sometimes the biggest lessons are taught in the smallest ways aren't they? I couldn't help but thank God for the reminder that he is always watching, always close and always ready to put me back on safe land just as he is for you. Don't we serve an amazing God?

Heavenly Father, thank you for your intimate and loving care. It's so hard to believe that you would love me, a sinner, so much that you would rescue me time and again. And yet, that's what you do for all your believers. Thank you Father. Thank you for loving us, saving us and for setting us on the right path when we have gone astray. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment