Thursday, September 8, 2016

Don't judge

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:1-3


Image result for people judging others pic

As I sprinted through the parking lot of the gas station, I slowed down to a walk as my friend was exiting the convenience store, goodies in hand, headed back to her car. "Oh my," she said, "You caught me with my Donut Stix and large soda and here you are running." I laughed and said, "Don't worry. I won't judge you." She laughed as well as then got in her car and headed to work. But you know something... I seriously was not judging her. As a sinner myself, I have no right to judge her or anyone else. None of us do. 

Jesus told us that very thing when he asked the question, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?". It seems that many of us, me included, can be so quick to judge someone else's wrongdoings that we forget that we too are sinners-and the same way that we judge others is the same way that God will judge us. That can be a scary thought can't it?

So I say that judgement should start with us-let us first judge ourselves that we might forgive, love and help others as we would want Jesus to love, forgive and help us. Because, as Art Jonak wrote, "Those who spend time looking for the faults in others, usually spend no time to correct their own." 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that we are all sinners in need of grace. And help us to also remember that our neighbor's sin is no greater than our own that we might have compassion and love for the lost. May we practice forgiveness, grace and mercy every day in the same way that you extend it to us. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment