Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The gift

"For what gives you the right to make such a judgment? What do you have that God hasn't given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift?" 1 Corinthians 4:7

Image result for runner praising god pic

Several weeks ago I reluctantly took my minivan in for an oil change. I say reluctantly since it's something I dread doing because, in all honesty, it stinks. Years of hauling around sweaty runners (including myself) and absentmindedly leaving smelly clothes in it for days at a time have left my van with an aroma resembling that of a locker room. But since it had to be done, I did it. And after I finished my shopping and paid for the service, I headed to the parking lot. Upon opening my door, I was surprised at what the technicians had left. There on the freshly vacuumed floor mat was a paper carpet protector that read "We take pride in your vehicle." Literally laughing out loud, I thought to myself, "well at least someone does." 

You know pride is mentioned 46 times in the King James Version of the Bible. And, contrary to popular belief, pride is not a virtue. Paul knew that when he asked the believers in Corinth two important questions, "What do you have that God hasn't given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift?" He was reminding them and now us that taking pride in ourselves and our accomplishments, also known as giving ourselves credit for something that God has done, is wrong and has no place in our lives.

You see, there's really nothing that you and I have done, will do or will ever possess that we can or should ever take pride in. Everything we have, including our abilities and talents, is a "gift" from the Father. Knowing that then, what would be your answers to Paul's questions?

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that pride can cause a wedge between us. Help all of us to remember that there is no good thing that we could ever achieve apart from you. In our running, our homes and in our work Lord, may we give you the glory for every "gift" and every victory, big and small. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

In Christ Alone-Brian Littrell

No comments:

Post a Comment