Sunday, September 11, 2016

Remember

"Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day." Deuteronomy 8:11

Image result for bowing at cross pic

As we began the Azalea Half Marathon Saturday morning, I was counting myself blessed to be joined by friends-one of which I had pledged the course to be mostly flat to before he would even sign up. Having run it several times before, I was sure that my statement was correct. But boy was I wrong! As I neared mile three, I saw the series of hills up ahead that would continue for a large part of the race. How could I have forgotten this, I thought to myself? And the hill at mile five was worthy of a world record for it's steep ascent and, yet, I had forgotten about that one too. As I finished and nervously waited, I was quite certain that my usually kind and gracious friend was going to strangle me. Thankfully though, after my pal crossed the finish line, all was forgiven and we laughed about my lapse in memory as he joked that he would most certainly check the elevation chart before entering any race that I ever recommended again. 

While that might have caused you to grin, you know there's nothing funny about forgetting about our Creator. But sadly, many of us do. Moses was very clear that we should never fail to remember that everything we have comes from God alone when he wrote, "Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God..." You see, when life is going good and we have everything we need, it can be easy for us to forget the provider of those needs-we can even begin to credit our success to our own hard work or intelligence and, in this way, totally deny God's power in it.

Oswald Chambers said it this way, "In times of prosperity we are apt to forget God; we imagine it does not matter whether we recognize Him or not. As long as we are comfortably clothed and fed and looked after, our civilization becomes an elaborate means of ignoring God." So today, may you and I take a moment to remember from whom all blessings flow and thank Him for all that He is to us and all that He has done for us... after all, He is our everything.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many many blessings you have given us. May we never forget that everything we accomplish, acquire or become is because of your mercy and grace over our lives. Oh Lord, help us to never forget that we are nothing without you. You are our everything. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Everything - Unspoken

Had a great day hanging out with this group. God was so gracious to give us friends.
Azalea Half Marathon 2016
They had a 5k and 10k race as well so there was something for everyone. In spite of the hills, this is a race we all loved and, God willing, will run again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment