Thursday, July 21, 2016

Take shelter

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2


Although the clouds looked rather menacing, I decided to go ahead with my morning run last week. I had already waited an hour for the thunder and lightning to pass and was quite anxious to work up a sweat. But, less than halfway into the run and many miles from home, I saw it. It was back. The first bolt of lightning lit up the dreary sky as it arced its way into the air causing my heart to race and panic to set in. As the rain quickly followed, I headed back as quickly as my legs would carry me. Oh Lord, I prayed, help me. Save me from the storm.

Have you ever prayed that prayer? David certainly did when he cried out, "Help me, O LORD my God! Save me because of your unfailing love." In the midst of the uncertainty of his life and the trials he was facing, he knew two things for certain - God was real and God was faithful to save him. Because of this great knowledge, David knew he was safe and could proclaim with complete confidence that the Lord was his rock and his fortress, his deliverer and the One in whom he could take refuge no matter what was crashing down around him. 

As I arrived safely back home, I was beyond grateful that I too could call the Lord my fortress and the One in whom I could find refuge. Do you have that same confidence today? When the rains fall and things come crashing down around you, do you find shelter, peace and strength in the One who loves you? When this world brings you pain, do you know where to find comfort? David did and you can too... in Christ.

Heavenly Father, thank you for being our shelter in the midst of the storm. Thank you that, by your unfailing love, you are always there to be our refuge when life gets so hard that we don't feel we can carry on. Help us to know, with confidence, that you will be our rock, our deliverer and the salvation we are so desperately searching for in a world full of pain. Thank you, Lord, that we can cry out to You knowing you will hear our prayers. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

Eye of the storm - Ryan Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment