Monday, July 18, 2016

Go deep

"When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break." Luke 5:4-6

Have you ever been called to do something you believed totally out of your power to accomplish? Most of us would probably answer with a resounding yes to that question. I will admit that as much as I want to follow Christ with my whole heart and without doubting him for a moment, I oftentimes find myself feeling just like Peter, aka Simon.  He knew fishing-he was a fisherman.  It was his life, his livelihood and the one thing he thought he knew everything about.  So when Jesus told him to let down his nets, Peter instinctively lost sight of who Jesus was and doubted him.  You see, all Peter really knew was that the previous attempt was unsuccessful and "common sense" and his past experiences told him that this would never work.  It wasn't the right time of day, the right place or the right area-a million reasons why they would catch no fish must have passed through his mind.  Oh my, aren't we the same? As much as we want to have total faith, we still look at earthly obstacles or situations as if God can't move a mountain or change our circumstances at will.

I know running-I am a runner. But there have been times when I too have felt called to "put out into deep water", to drop my nets into the unknown, where I found myself, like Peter, questioning what was possible. The training wasn't right. The circumstances weren't right. How could I finish the race when I found it difficult or painful to even make it to the start line?  But you know what? Each time God gave me the strength to fulfill the purpose to which he called me to. And each time, I was so overcome with humility, awe and wonder at the power of God's strength revealed, that I fell to my knees in shame, remorseful at my lack of trust.  Perhaps you've felt that way too?

Is God calling you to do something today that you feel you could never accomplish?  Are you afraid of venturing out into deeper waters? The bible tells us that when the fisherman let down their nets in faith, "they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break." Perhaps today is the day, like Simon, you and I will drop our nets and witness a miracle of God's making?

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the strength to do Your will when the world and our flesh says it can't be done.  Help us to remember that we can do "all things through Christ who gives us strength."  Give us courage to let down our nets and be fishers of men.  In Your precious name we pray, Jesus.  Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

AL&A - Walk on Waves


No comments:

Post a Comment