Sunday, July 17, 2016

Would they know?

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34,35



While running the TEAM 413 Donut Run 5k Saturday, I approached a friend at the turnaround who had been running behind me for at least a mile. As I neared her (this time face forward), she laughed and said, "I knew that was you! I could tell by the way you run. Girl I could pick you out in any crowd." I had to chuckle as I admitted to her that I had heard that many times-in fact, that was the second time this week. And while being recognized by my running form makes me smile, it also reminds me that people recognize me and others by those traits they see most often. 

In John 13:34, Jesus gave the disciples this command, "Love one another..." But he didn't stop there. He instructed them further telling them that, not only are they to love one another but, they are to love one another the same way that Christ has loved them so, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples..." You see, Jesus' love for the disciples and others wasn't just contained to his feelings. His love was shown in his actions- without complaining, he loved the undeserving, he forgave those who persecuted him, he made time to help those in need, he fed the hungry and clothed the poor all the while giving glory to the Father. And that is what you are I are called to do. This is how are called to love. This is how we should want others to recognize us! 

I wonder, how do people see us today? If we never said a word, would they know we are Christians by our love?

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would send your son to die on a cross for each and every one of us. Thank you for loving us in spite of all the things we do that make us unlovable. Thank you for granting us mercy and grace when we are deserving of judgement and for giving us eternal life when we are deserving of death. Help us to love others in the same way Lord that they might know we are followers of You and, by our example, choose to give their lives to you as well. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



They will know we are Christians-Jars of Clay
The free 5k races are held the third Saturday of each month and are open to everyone! It's an opportunity to share the love of Christ with others. 
Group picture of the free 5k Donut Run presented by TEAM 413 and Walker Realty
Just a small part of the prerace prayer circle

 


Running with friends is such a blessing
Love to see others helping one another. 


No comments:

Post a Comment