Thursday, June 23, 2016

Drink up

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" Psalm 41:1,2





Did you know that yesterday was National Hydration Day? Neither did I-in fact, I didn't even know that there was a day specifically set apart to remind us of the need to quench our thirst until I heard it on the radio. With the unseasonably high temperatures, the reminder was very timely though considering that even mild dehydration can cause headaches, muscle cramps and fatigue while severe dehydration can cause low blood pressure, fever, confusion and even death. Thankfully, preventing dehydration is as easy as bringing a bottle of water along during exercise or any physical activity, especially when the mercury is climbing.

As life-threatening physically as it is to go without water, being spiritually thirsty poses the same threat. The psalmist knew it when he wrote, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God..." You see, when we go long periods without meditating on God's word or spending time in prayer, especially in the heat of battle, you and I can become spiritually dehydrated even to the point of death. And just as the deer longs for the very water that will sustain him, our souls are thirsting for the very thing that will sustain us, the only thing that will keep us alive... "the living God." 

Frederick Bruce, a biblical scholar, wisely wrote, "The souls deepest thirst is for God himself, he has made us so that we can never be satisfied without Him." So you see my friend, we cannot live without God. We just can't. Go and meet with Him daily that your thirst might be satisfied. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us a thirst for you that reminds us that we cannot live without you. Just as we provide our physical bodies with what they need to survive, may we do the same with our spiritual ones that they might grow, thrive and lead others to do the same. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

As the deer

No comments:

Post a Comment