Sunday, June 5, 2016

Hospital Hill 2016


"Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6


Saturday, June 4th, was the 43rd annual Hospital Hill Run in Kansas City, MO. Being one of my favorite races, I had run it many times before. But this year was to be the most memorable as my teenage son would be running with me. I was blessed to have him by my side and he was thankful to have someone guide him through his half marathon. As his coach, the plan was to start slow, keep a moderate pace and then speed up near the end if he had the energy left. And as we ran side by side, I was overcome with emotion recalling the many times I had led Luke throughout the years, telling him when to slow down, speed up or turn this way or that to keep him focused on the right path. To my surprise, with less than three miles to go and plenty 'left in the tank', my son sped up. When it was apparent that I could not keep up with him, I silently dropped back.  As I watched him 'run ahead', enjoying the run and oblivious that I was no longer at his side, I silently rejoiced knowing that, while I had started him off in this race, he could certainly finish it by himself.   

You see, the bible tells us that we are to "start" our children off on the way they should go, not follow them their whole lives. That's not our job. From the time they are little, our job is to teach them about the world and how to make good choices as a part of it. More importantly, though, as parents we should be instructing our children to walk with the Lord through our words and the lives we live before them. Then, when the time comes for them to 'run ahead', we can be confident that they will make wise decisions and stay focused on God's plan for their future. 

I had to smile, though, as I neared the finish line to see that this sweet child of mine was running back for me. While I was absolutely overjoyed that he and I would cross the finish line together this time, I told him that he was on his own the next. It was time for him to 'run ahead' and be all that God intended him to be.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the blessing of being Luke's mother. Thank you giving me the reassurance I so desperately needed that he will be the man you have prepared him to be. Help all of us as parents to guide and protect our children while still allowing them to grow and make their own decisions that they might, one day, be ready to 'run ahead'. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Til the day I die - Toby Mac

Getting ready to head to the start line
Getting ready to start
It was a blessing to be with family and friends who helped encourage Luke


And we are done and I am blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment