Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Identity???

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9


The simple definition of identity given by Merriam Webster is: who someone is, the name of a person or the qualities, beliefs, etc. that make a person different from others. But what happens when one part of that definition is changed? When a quality is removed? After being told by the podiatrist yesterday that I couldn't resume running for three weeks, that question made me think. I was a runner right? Now what? One study of the scriptures reveals that I am so much more than what I do, what I achieve or how I look though. I am, as 1 Peter 2:9 tells me, "God's special possession" and that part of my identity can never be changed. 

Sadly people so often define their identity by their accomplishments, jobs, successes, wealth, their children or a title. And when that status changes, they can be left wondering who they really are. I know I did for several long (and downcast) hours until He reminded me that my identity is not in what I do, it's in what He has done for me. My identity is not in being a runner but in Christ and my value comes from being "God's special possession." That is who I am and that is who you are!

My worth is not in skill or name
In win or lose, in pride or shame
But in the blood of Christ that flowed
At the cross

You see our true identity is being God's "chosen people", chosen that you and I "may declare the praises of him who called" us "out of darkness into his wonderful light." So let's make the decision today to be nothing but what God says we are... and he calls us chosen, loved and His.

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would call us your special possession. Thank you that our identity can be found in you alone and that our worth is determined only by the value you have placed on us. Help us to not get caught up in defining ourselves or others by anything we do or accomplish but only by the priceless value of the blood shed at Calvary. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. 

Happy Running!!!


My worth - Keith and Krystyn Getty

No comments:

Post a Comment