Tuesday, April 5, 2016

buzzer beater

"Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.” And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:42,43


Yesterday's Washington Post Headlines read, "Kris Jenkins’s shot for Villanova takes its place among all-time buzzer-beaters" In basketball, a buzzer-beater is a shot taken before the game clock of a quarter expires but does not go in until after the clock expires and the buzzer sounds. In other words, it is the last possible moment that a shot can be counted. The article that followed read, "This will be remembered for quite some time. Villanova didn’t just stun favored North Carolina for the NCAA title Monday, the Wildcats did it on a last-second shot.

The bible tells us of another last-second shot when it relays the story of the penitent thief, that sinner on the cross next to Jesus who, before nearing his final breath, repented and said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom." And Jesus replied, "I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise." While it is indeed true that a person can be forgiven of their sins at the last possible moment, why would anyone chance making the decision to follow Him not knowing how much time is left on the clock?

Maybe today you're planning on living your life as you please, doing what feels good, and then accepting Jesus when the end is near? While you're pondering that thought though, might I remind you that no one is guaranteed tomorrow-not me and not you. And when your time runs out there will be no more shots left to beat the buzzer. Won't you choose to follow Christ today?

Heavenly Father, thank you for being the God of second chances. Thank you for loving us so much that you would allow us to enter Heaven at the lost possible moment. If there is anyone putting off their decision today, my fervent hope is that they would pray this prayer...  Lord, I confess that I am a sinner in need of grace. I believe that your son, Jesus, was crucified for the forgiveness of my sins and that he rose again on the third day. I accept you as my Lord and Savior at this very moment and pray that you would dwell in my heart. It's in your precious name I pray this. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Remember me - Kutless




No comments:

Post a Comment