Sunday, April 24, 2016

Step out

"Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge, the water from upstream stopped flowing... So the people crossed over opposite Jericho. " Joshua 3:15-16





It is said that the waters of the Jordan River, in their late flood stage, pass through 27 sizable rapids and cascade between the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea near Jericho dropping about 600 feet over 65 miles. At that time, the river's average 4 mile an hour current more than doubles to 10 miles per hour and, at their point of crossing, the normal 180 foot wide span would have more than doubled as well. Could the timing and location make their crossing any more impossible to achieve? I think not. Yet this was the time and place that the Lord told Joshua to instruct the Israelites to cross over into the promised land. With the waters raging around them, but the ark of the covenant (God's presence) before them, they made their way to the water's edge. And just like that, thanks to insurmountable circumstances, God demonstrated his power and faithfulness. 

As I pondered this story yesterday, I was humbled to think that, only a week earlier, I was facing a seemingly impossible obstacle myself. While I most certainly knew that God was calling me to run the Boston Marathon, I was also certain that, from a human standpoint, it was foolish. How was I going to run 26.2 miles with a limp and improper training? Well that, I finally surmised, was not my dilemma to solve. I merely needed to show up at the start line and trust God to work that one out. And that He did! I may never know this side of Heaven his whole purpose for me being there but I was allowed several instances of seeing Him work through me. And for that, and an even stronger faith, I am forever grateful. 

You know there are many times in our lives when God will call you and me to do seemingly unachievable, hopeless and ridiculous things. And as hard as these troubles or difficulties are to endure, it's these trials that teach us if we simply step out and make our way to the water's edge, God will do the impossible. He did it for me and can do it for you-because, in the words of Francis of Assisi, "If God can work through me; he can work through anyone." 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that gives us hope when we are facing insurmountable odds. It is awesome to remember that the very same God who is the same yesterday, today and forever, is still making ways and doing the impossible. And that you are still using ordinary people to achieve extraordinary things to show your power and might is even more awesome to think about! My prayer is that you would continue to use me and that others would pray the same. Use us Lord to glorify your name and to inspire others to follow you to the water's edge. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

Step out on faith - CO3

No comments:

Post a Comment