Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Perspective

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." Genesis 50:20



At the infamous Heartbreak Hill, I had had enough, or should I say my legs had screamed surrender. After already having alternated between running and walking twenty miles due to an injury, I had slowed down to only a walk. Oh boy, this was going to be a long and hard last 6.2 miles I thought to myself. Then, from behind, I heard a man say, Perspective. "Excuse me", I said to which he replied, "It's all about perspective. You see, you think you are only walking but if you step it up a bit like so (as he demonstrated) and imagine you are running, your mind will catch on and you will be running. Let me show you." And just like that, my new friend from Hong Kong and I were running! This new perspective got us to the finish line a bit quicker but, more importantly, had me once again counting my blessings.

This was a great reminder that the way you and I think about things may not change our situation but can certainly change the way we handle it. Consider the story of Joseph. He was the favorite son of Jacob but sold into slavery by his jealous brothers. In the midst of his trial, God blessed him (He is so good at that!) and he was made second-in-command over all of Egypt. When he was finally reunited with his brothers he told them, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." You see Joseph not only saved his family from famine but thousands of others as well. From a human standpoint, he had every reason to punish instead of help his brothers but, through his trial, he found a new perspective.

If you look hard enough you will see that God is always turning things around to bless us. What you and I see as a hardship, trouble or obstacle, God sees as a means to make us grow or help others. So, if you're looking at that problem in front of you thinking that it's too big to conquer, remember this in the words of Renee Swope, "Sometimes God wants us to look at our circumstances through a new perspective... His perspective."

Heavenly Father, I thank you so very much for being such a faithful, all-knowing and loving God that we might look at things, through faith, in a different perspective. When there mountains in our way Lord, help us to remember that you are the master at moving them. When there are trials in our way, help us to remember that you are the master of turning them into testimonies. And when it looks like there is no way out of our problem, help us to remember that you were, are and always will be the way. With that in mind, may we seize the day and, in faith, keep running towards that finish line. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Deeper - Meredith Andrews



No comments:

Post a Comment