Monday, January 25, 2016

Get some rest

"I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety,for the LORD was watching over me. I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side." Psalm 3:5-6


As Winter Storm Jonas began to bring down more than two feet of snow along the East Coast last week, many people panicked. The long lines and empty shelves at the grocery stores showed a community fearing the worst. So when I messaged one of my Christian brothers from Virginia to see if he and the family were okay, I couldn't help but smile at his response, "They're calling for up to 3 feet. Fortunately, we have a treadmill in the basement." He wasn't looking at the storm surrounding him on every side--no, he was looking at the One watching over him. 

King David wrote about this perfect peace when he said, "I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the LORD was watching over me. I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side." From a human standpoint, David had everything to fear. In fact, he should have been so afraid and worried that sleep would have been impossible. But the bible tells us that he did indeed sleep knowing that the LORD was watching over him. And true to God's promise, David woke up in safety. 

It's no surprise that Prevention Magazine lists worry as the number one cause of insomnia, a condition many of us suffer from. But there is no need to worry if you will, like David, look not at the things surrounding you but at the One watching over you. Now go get some rest. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your promise of protection, a promise that tells us that you will be watching over us. Even if ten thousand enemies or ten worrisome thoughts surround us, may we sleep in peace knowing that we will wake up in safety. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No longer slaves - Jonathon David and Melissa Helser


No comments:

Post a Comment